Just got my Verminator MKII .177

The new Gladiator and Verminator ("Mk2") models are based on the Royale/Elite action block, but are different enough to warrant their own section.

Just got my Verminator MKII .177

Postby Zero4k on Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:21 pm

I love this rifle :D, she's blacker than the blackest thing and although I like and appreciate the beauty of wood, I really do like the tactical look and especially this matt rubberized finish, it feels very easy to grip and I don't think it'll slip even with wet hands. This rifle has a truly amazing balance and I'm really looking forward to putting it through it's paces.

Click on the images for a bigger image and use the back button in your browser to get back here ;)

I popped the Viper Connect on for now to see how I get on with it, but due to the weather taking a turn for the worst I've not managed to get out to zero yet, and Wife refuses to stand and hold the umbrella over me in the rain :(.....
I'm measuring up for a 500cc tube but I need to rethink the mounts to get the scope back even further, I'll email the guys at Connectamount for dimensions or just make my own again :)

I intend posting back after I've set up and tested with a few pellets I have on order.
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Re: Just got my Verminator MKII .177

Postby Fatsniper on Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:20 pm

I looked at various mounts for my connect but settled on the ones in the picture just to get it back far enough.
I did have my MTC taipan on but found it looked a little cluttered. If im honest im struggling a bit with the
conect and lack of eye relief so tempted to go back to something like my old Hawke 6/24x56.
Fatsniper

Postby Zero4k on Mon Sep 24, 2012 10:34 pm

Thanks for posting Fatsniper, that's another mount option I can play with. I like MTC scopes and went for the SCB reticle, for me the virtually zero eye relief works just fine but it's not for everyone. Have a look at this pic from Glad2Have1 viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1664, maybe something like this neoprene bottle cover and a butt / shoulder pad would help with the head and cheek positioning. You shouldn't have any problems selling the Connect if you want to.
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:59 pm

Royale 400 and Verminator.

Part of the appeal of the Verminator is the sheer compactness and balance it offers, most silencers / moderators I've seen add around 5 to 7 inches to the total length - which isn't bad at all. There are some very good silencers on the market these days, but after a some serious debating I've decided on the Hugget. It's a full shroud and silencer in one unit that replaces the FX factory item. It's 325mm / 12.79" long and only adds about 68mm / 2.6" to the overall length of the Verminator 8-). I'm hoping it will be fitted this week and I'm really looking forward to (not) hearing it!
Zero4k

Postby FGYT on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:57 pm

Ive got some internals for the std one coming but interested in how hte huggett performs im guessint even only adding a little to the length it still wont fit back in its small handy carry case :lol:

oh do you know the min operating pressure for these ie when its considered a sensible to refill the airtank

ATB

Duncan
Dorset Woodland Blades:- I See You've Played Knifey Spoony Before
FGYT

Postby Zero4k on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:27 pm

Hi Duncan,

I'll be very interested in how the internals work out in that shroud extension you bought. Nope, the Verminator will not fit in the case after the Hugget is fitted (I don't think yours would fit a case anymore either :P), it would if the Hugget unscrewed but I don't think it does - it would be an added bonus if it did though. I'll be getting another fleece lined case custom cut / shortened to hold the rifle fully assembled.

Regarding pressure, I've taken the Royale down to around 100 bar with no problem, I did consider going further but I wasn't sure what the constancy would be like, would be good to find out though so I'll give it a go after I've sorted everything else ;)

Regards,
Ian
Zero4k

Postby Fatsniper on Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:27 pm

Well after playing with the connect i think im gonna sell it and go back to my old scope as im not getting along with it.
Duncan i love the way you mounted the Bi-pod, did you remove the front cylinder before drilling for the mounts.

Im waiting for my gunsmith to make me an adapter so i can fit a HW silencer we are even looking into modding the shroud and fitting a daystate airstream.
Fatsniper

Postby FGYT on Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:07 am

Fatsniper wrote:Well after playing with the connect i think im gonna sell it and go back to my old scope as im not getting along with it.
Duncan i love the way you mounted the Bi-pod, did you remove the front cylinder before drilling for the mounts.

Im waiting for my gunsmith to make me an adapter so i can fit a HW silencer we are even looking into modding the shroud and fitting a daystate airstream.

I did take the stock off but you could do it without the Vermi Dosnt have a front cylinder fitted just the stalk to move the air fill point fwds so theres plenty of room you could actually fit a cylinder the stalk just screws on the same fitting im considering doing that and also trying a front cylinder on the back with a better shape butt / cheek piece (was hoping a M16 style but i think the diameter is to big to just slot on) obviously a lot less shots no less than most with just a built in front cylinder and maybe lighter. as thats just a nice idea it may be to expensive to try on a whim

probably a reg is the next thing

ATB

Duncan
FGYT

Postby Zero4k on Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:33 pm

I'm still awaiting the Hugget I ordered from the gun shop on Monday so I thought I'd prepare the Verminator in advance.

Removing the shroud isn't for the faint hearted or those of a nervous disposition. I removed the rear air tube, front filler tube, scope, and stock before starting. Next I mounted the action in a workmate with the muzzle pointing upward to keep any heat transferring to the action to a minimum, the block was protected with a doubled up soft towel.

I guessed the front air stripper with the external M20 thread would be what was holding the shroud together and locking it in place on the barrel, there is very little to grip onto, I tried with very grippy gloves but this was not going to work (then I thought - Loctite), so the next step was the application of some heat. I used a heat gun extremely carefully on the end of the shroud and threaded air stripper, stopping every few seconds to see if it was freeing up using some heat resistant gloves, again it was impossible to get enough grip on the thread to turn it so reluctantly I resorted to a small pipe wrench using a thick cloth in an attempt to protect the threads - this protection failed as you can see.

I cleaned the remains of the infernal thread locker / Loctite from the threaded barrel so I'm good to go, had it not been applied as generously I think the job would have been easier. I'll buy another end so I have the complete original shroud.

That's it until the Hugget eventually gets here....
Zero4k

Postby FGYT on Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:46 am

think i would have taken the barrel off and clamped the barrel so not stress the Allen grub screw holding it in

out of interest is the barrel vented into the shroud at all

is the thread on the barrel 1/2"unf ??

what does it shoot like with the shroud off??
FGYT

Next

Return to FX Gladiator/Verminator Mk2