Just got my Verminator MKII .177

The new Gladiator and Verminator ("Mk2") models are based on the Royale/Elite action block, but are different enough to warrant their own section.

Re: Just got my Verminator MKII .177

Postby Zero4k on Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:58 pm

Very little stress on the two grub screws holding the barrel after the heat, my problem was not having enough surface area to grip to get it started.

It is an air stripper as stated, it has 8 vents into the shroud - you can see one of them in the photo but not the others, and yes it is a standard 1/2" unf thread too.

How does it shoot - damn loud, you don't appreciate how much the shroud actually does until you hear it without. POI was unchanged but that was only at 10 yards so not a test of any significance, it's a very short distance from barrel muzzle to shroud exit hole so I doubt it would make any difference further out, especially as the shroud uses a .22 size exit.
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Postby FGYT on Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:29 am

Ok so i should have taken the shroud off and just screwed on my old logun Silencer :D (mind you they used to need a strip down and deburring to get them to work well)

They should have done what's on my old custom axsor which was thread the 1/2" unf female right thru the end plug so you can simply screw in a 1/2" male and then fit a male 1/2" unf end cap so the stripper works and its neat n tidy as opposed to going off the reservation on non std thread :lol:
a second double ended 1/2" unf adaptor could then be supplied if you want a female std silencer fitted

I might send a drawing to FX

I was wondering if the shroud would affect it as its butting back on the block and the Vermi does have a lot if for want of a better word recoil when fired I find definitely can feel it thru the stock next to the power wheel

I've now got some baffles in the smartie tube and I think its better :? still playing with spacing and configuration

ATB

Duncan
Dorset Woodland Blades:- I See You've Played Knifey Spoony Before
FGYT

Postby Zero4k on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:19 am

What would be nice is if FX could offer a custom short Hugget specifically for the Verminator to take into account the standard shroud 8-). There's nothing stopping anyone buying a standard Hugget, removing the 1/2" unf end and getting an adaptor made to take it to 20mm (apart from the sacrilege aspect :shock:) - maybe the parts from the stripped out FX shroud extension might fit? It would be a bit longer though. Air rifles with a short barrel don't have much barrel flex or change in POI with the weight of an added silencer / moderator generally speaking.

The recoil or kick you mention may be the related to the extra air needed to shoot the pellet up to speed with a short barrel, out of interest how is the kick on the low and medium power settings?

Regards,
Ian
Zero4k

Postby FGYT on Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:50 pm

the recoil thing seems like a blast of air escaping and making hte stock flex

I took the barrel out and covered the escape port in the shroud. it seems to have gone but it is alos gone with he port uncovered

only think i have doen is changed the internal spacings on the silencer maybe it was a balst of to much air coming out the shroud

oh well its gone now :mrgreen:
Dorset Woodland Blades:- I See You've Played Knifey Spoony Before
FGYT

Postby Zero4k on Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:39 pm

Good to hear you have the kick sorted, the only time I have experienced anything like that was with a loose stock on a BSA.
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:18 pm

Hugget collected and fitted.

It looks superb, is very well made, nicely finished, comes with fitting instructions and is packed in a virtually Royal Mail proof plastic tube which extends and contracts to accommodate other Huggett models. The sound it produces is deeper than the standard FX Verminator shroud and the sharp crack is gone 8-).

The shroud rear chamber has a bigger capacity than the FX one due to the tube diameter increase, the length of it is virtually the same. Screwed onto the barrel is an air stripper, this also acts as a means of centering the shroud on the barrel - and it works well, in front of the air stripper is the extra length, this is an additional single chamber, the short length of this front chamber does present a limitation on the ability to reduce the overall noise level but it is definitely a fair bit quieter than before, I'd say it is very close to the standard Royale 400 .22 and this is very acceptable. I would venture to say that it would be even better on a .22 as they are the same specification for both calibers with the air stripper hole being 8mm and end cap hole 7mm. as a result is slightly oversize for .177.

Nothing in life is perfect, and there is always room for improvement....

On the rifle:

Side by side comparison:

Standard FX shroud is 260mm / 10.23" long, external diameter 28mm, FX shroud extension adds 160mm / 6.29"

Hugget shroud is 320mm / 12.59", external diameter 30mm, Length added to the rifle is 60mm / 2.36"

So is it worth the £125.00 asking price? I'd say yes it is, if you consider that a shroud and barrel fittings for most air rifles will cost around £70.00, and on top of that you'll likely need an additional silencer at between £40.00 and £60.00 you'll see that it doesn't look that bad after all - and it is a quality product.

Next on the agenda is some shooting to see how the rifle performs ;)
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Mon Nov 05, 2012 2:37 pm

I found a case that suits, was going to get a custom one but after a little searching spotted this at Firesupport, there's plenty of shoulder strap location points on the back and the front pockets are useful sizes:

Perfect size for mine with the Hugget fitted 8-)

Current direct link to the case http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/g ... -86x29x5cm
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:42 am

Having been initially impressed with the Hugget compared to the Verminator (without any additional silencing), I am not so sure having used it some more. I want to make it clear that this is not a Huggett bashing post, this applies specifically to the model sold for the Verminator MKII. I have been testing it outdoors and indoors and it really needs to be a lot quieter than it is for my liking, it's a very tall order from a unit that keeps the rifle short in length.

If you turn the Huggett around so the meshed slots are at the back - you can see this on my post above showing the case I bought, it is noticeably quieter, this is due to not having the plastic decorative mesh retainer, acrylic material, stainless steel mesh and support taking up volume in the front, basically a larger empty chamber at the front is quieter. I have done and tried a lot more in addition to this and it has made it even quieter - but it's still not what I'd call quiet, very briefly:

Flat face on the end cap internally - sorted
Exit holes are far too big for .177 - center shroud support being (8mm) and silencer exit (7mm) - settled on 6mm on both.
Rear shroud section is not vented - sorted using it reversed and drilled in the plastic mesh retainer.
Center shroud support does not having any air stripping capabilities (I previously called this an air stripper - my bad). Partly sorted but needs a very different design manufactured to be effective.

Anyway I have put the Huggett on the back burner for now and gone back to the FX shroud with a little bit of modification, it is now pretty much on par with the Huggett despite having around 1.5mm less ID and no integrated silencer chamber up front. FX high precision machining made it possible to take the shroud exit down from the standard 6mm to 5mm with no clipping.

Now quietened to a very acceptable level. Modified FX air stripper with 5mm diameter exit, Huggett shroud (reversed), rear mount, and end cap taken down to 6mm and extending tube internally. Totally replacing the end cap will be the next stage.
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:16 am

After a busy and fairly hectic couple of Months plus uk weather, I got some time to do a bit of shooting today, but It has proved to be an extremely frustrating experience - to quote Vinnie Jones "it's been emotional".

My Royale 400 .22 gives around 5 to 7 fps average spread using the FX / JSB Exact 15.9gr and JSB Express 14.3gr pellets which is impressive for non regulated so I'm used to and expect things to work properly.

I knew it couldn't be a problem with the Verminator as I had set it up using JSB heavy 10.34gr pellets a while back, I was looking forward to a quick rezero and target shoot with the lighter JSB's in the sun. This didn't happen, instead I experienced extreme fps spread - an incredible 118fps over 32 shots with the 8.44gr and 127fps with the 7.87gr.

Batteries were checked in the Combro and the appropriate weights entered, here's a small sample of the results I got from today's session:

The shaded area's are where I re-weighed a few pellets, 8.40 to 8.46gr, and 7.86 to 7.89gr to see if that made much difference - there was an improvement with the Expresses but not 100%, the Exacts were still poor.

These particular tins of Exacts are certainly not up to the standard I would expect from JSB, I'll look at them closer tomorrow but the finish doesn't look good and I can see marks on the skirts. I think the head size is largely to blame for this huge variation, I tried measuring a few and they drop through the vernier between 4.49 and 4.51mm - this isn't really an accurate way of measuring pellets but heavy's don't drop through until 5.52 / 5.53mm is displayed. The weights vary from 8.16gr to 8.70gr in 2 tins - just over half a grain, I haven't weighed all the Express's yet. Have they been labeled wrongly or were the batches mixed up somewhere along the line, who knows, but the results leave a lot to be desired.

Edited for correction, I typed skirt instead of head.

Update: After contacting supplier, replacement pellets are being sent and remainder of originals are being returned.

Result, 3 different head sizes in the tins.
Last edited by Zero4k on Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Thu Jan 17, 2013 7:37 pm

AA Field 8.44 5.52 replacement's arrived today, these are essentially the same JSB pellet but the AA's do look quite different in their finish. A quick couple of magazines worth straight from the tin to see what happens....

I'm at a total loss regarding this, I can understand an increased amount of spread due to power, head and skirt size, damage, etc but not this wildly out. I've searched a load of forums and used search engines and haven't found anything like it. I know the the retailer pretty well and he's going to look into this further because something's just not right.
Zero4k

PreviousNext

Return to FX Gladiator/Verminator Mk2