My FX Royale 400

Show off your FX Airgun (or related stuff) here. Standard or custom, anything goes.

Re: My FX Royale 400

Postby Zero4k on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:31 pm

Thanks for your reply Daz, so in my case less would give me more like the finish I would want. I reckon therapeutic in this case would translate to a lot of hard work in reality :lol:. You've done a beautiful job on that stock of yours though 8-)
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Postby PAPA on Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:13 am

Hi

You would be able to do it easy. A coat here a coat there over a few days and it starts to take shape.

I make my own stock oil from a shop bought brand with some extras about 50/50 but the shop bought is great as is. I just do it that way because the old guy that showed me did the same.

Then it's just down to love, rub it in like your oiling a super models thigh. When you have done that and you have had enough, set it with heat. Hand heat only no ovens :shock: fast hard rubbing to build heat and let harden for a few hours or next day just when you have some time. The more you put in the more you get out, so just stop when your happy.

Daz
PAPA

Postby Zero4k on Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:14 am

That is the most straightforward no nonsense explanation of oiling a stock I have read anywhere, thank you - I'm just missing the super model here but I'll manage I guess :shock:. I assume your extras might include quality turpentine (not the cheap stuff from hardware stores) or is that not needed due to the hand generated heat.
Zero4k

Postby PAPA on Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:07 pm

:shock: no turps :shock:

Just buy .. Trade secret rapid oil and use straight from the bottle. Nothing else is needed just some lint free cloth. Slow and steady do not try to blat to much on in one go.

Clean you stock with a damp cloth the day before you start. And remember ...rub the oil in..... With love ;)

You will feel very proud when people comment on your gun, knowing it's your own work is even better.

I know you said you would not be doing it but this is also for anyone else thinking about doing it.

Go for it it's not as hard as people have you believe. Ten hours sounds like a lot of time but it's additive when you start, it's hard to stop. :D

You will see a it start to come on after just a few coats ( one hour work ish ) but if your mad like me.... More = MORE Muhahahaha :twisted:

Daz
PAPA

Postby Zero4k on Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:52 pm

:shock: OK, absolutely no turps :), I've ordered some Trade secret rapid oil, this is your fault Daz ;)

I am however going to practice / try it on a piece of walnut (old small table top) first to judge how much to put on and see if I can obtain a semi satin finish rather than a high (but beautiful) gloss finish, guess that's the weekend catered for then....

Thanks again Daz :D
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:11 pm

After a mess about from one supplier, I ordered the Trade secret rapid oil from Solware, it arrived Saturday 6th, so thanks to PAPA's very useful guide on here and a bit help via PM (thanks Daz, much appreciated :D ), I made a start, here's the after results after 4 coats and leaving overnight to go off:

EDIT: I deleted the original photos as they didn't do proper justice to the finish at all, here's the new ones:

Image Image
Image Image
I'm very pleased with the results considering I've never done this sort of thing before, I tried to avoid a high gloss but I reckon a few more coats would give a finish almost as good as PAPA's.
Last edited by Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zero4k

Postby JohnnySweden on Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:59 am

That is a really good looking stock there...

:shock:
My airgun blog: http://airpang.bloggplatsen.se/

.25 FX Airguns Elite 500 Mk I - Bushnell Legend 5-15/40 Ao
.177 Crosman Challenger - Leupold 3-9/33 EFR
.22 BSA Ultra Mk I - Tasco Varmint I 2.5-10/42 Ao
JohnnySweden

Postby Zero4k on Sun Aug 14, 2011 3:33 pm

Thank you Johnny :D, I was very lucky really. I originally bought the Royale in synthetic but after a little advice on here I called Deben (great people to deal with) who were the importers and asked them if I could pay the difference and swap for a walnut stock, the rifle was only a week old and they kindly obliged, I'm very happy with it 8-)
Zero4k

Postby PolarWolf on Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:54 pm

Really beautiful indeed! I need to get some of that oil too for my Cyclone, see if I can make it come out like that as well.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby Zero4k on Sun Aug 14, 2011 6:46 pm

Thank Polarwolf, It was your advice that made me change to walnut, I am grateful to you for that :D, look forward to seeing yours at some point too.

I know someone else who has a gorgeous looking stock....... I wonder who this belongs to:
Considering it was in the scrap bin :shock: I think it's truly amazing, just shows what can be achieved with a lot of work and some oil :mrgreen:
Zero4k

PreviousNext

Return to Picture Perfect